Steve Tharinger was first elected to the Legislature in 2010 to represent the 24th Legislative District, which includes all of Clallam and Jefferson counties and a portion of Grays Harbor County.
He has a long record of community service, volunteerism, and small business experience.Back home, Rep. Tharinger is a former Clallam County commissioner and small business owner.
He is a member of the Sequim Sunrise Rotary and a state-certified, volunteer mediator with the Peninsula Dispute Resolution Center.
In 1994, Rep. Tharinger received the Clallam County Community Service Award.He lives in Dungeness with his wife, Yvonne.
Years in Legislature: 2nd Term
Education: Bachelor of Arts, Colorado College
Community Activities and Appointments:
- Clallam County Lodging Tax Advisory Committee (chair)
- Board of the Clallam County Economic Development Council
- Board of the United Way of Clallam County from 2003-2009 (Treasurer 2003-2006)
- Clallam County Planning Commission from 1992-1997 (chair 1995-1997)
- Carlsborg Urban Growth Area Task Force (chair 1994)
- Clallam County Forest/Mineral Lands Committee (1991)
- Clallam County Agricultural Resource Lands Committee
- Clallam County Agricultural Advisory Committee (chair)
- United Way Access to Health Care Committee and Community Solutions Committee
- Clallam County Board of Health
- Clallam County Chemical Dependency/Mental Health Fund Advisory Board (chair)
- State Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler’s Health Care Reform Realization Committee
Natural Resource Issues
- Washington Wildlife and Recreation Coalition Board (ex-officio member since 2011)
- Dungeness River Management Team
- Washington State Salmon Recovery Funding Board since 2002 (chair since 2008)
- Salmon Recovery Council and Ecosystem Coordination Board, Puget Sound Partnership
- Watershed Planning Implementation, Washington Biodiversity Council (state legislative advisory committees)
- Council of Governments for the Olympic Area Agency on Aging, which includes Clallam, Jefferson, Grays Harbor and Pacific Counties
- Peninsula Regional Support Network for Mental Health (chair) and the Olympic Consortium for Workforce Development, both of which include Clallam, Jefferson and Kitsap Counties
- Washington State North Coast Local Loan Board
- Washington Association of Counties’ Coastal Caucus