22525 Marine View Dr. S
Des Moines, WA 98198
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504-0600
As a well-seasoned social worker and advocate, Tina knows that the government and private sector must work together to solve our state’s big problems. She created a nationally recognized public–private funding partnership with local government and foundations that resulted in over 1,000 units of housing for homeless individuals, including units dedicated to homeless veterans.
In 2011 she sponsored the Foreclosure Fairness Act to give struggling homeowners tools and assistance to better navigate the foreclosure process. The measure included provisions for homeowners to meet with the lender and a mediator to explore every alternative to foreclosure.
Tina is an active member of the Des Moines Rotary Club and Kent Chamber of Commerce. She serves on the boards of Judson Park retirement community in Des Moines, the United Way of King County Out of the Rain Impact Council and the Economic Opportunity Institute. She also currently works as a consultant/grant writer (sole proprietor).
University of Washington: Bachelor of Science degree of psychology 1988; and Master of Social Work in Administration, 1991
Joint Committee on Veterans and Military Affairs, June 2011
Legislative-Executive WorkFirst Oversight Task Force, July 2011
Washington Consumer Foreclosure Remedies Fund Committee, April 2012
Tina worked for the City of Seattle, Office of Housing as the Washington State Taking Health Care Home Coordinator. As a state legislator, she coordinates a statewide group of legislators and stakeholders to advance affordable housing options in Washington state.
She was formerly active in the following governmental partnerships:
- Washington State Policy Academy on Co-Occurring Disorders
- King County Veteran’s Group Consortium Steering Committee member; Co-Chair of the Supportive Housing Alliance for Veterans (SHAVET)
Awards and Recognition
- Parent Trust for Washington Children Laura Smith Brown Children’s Champion Award, November 2012
- Early Learning Action Alliance Gold Crayon Award, September 2012
- Seattle/King County Coalition on Homelessness King County Legislative Champions Award, July 2012
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Washington Legislator of the Year Award, June 2012
- Washington Mediation Association State of the Art Award, May 2012
- Tacoma/Pierce County Affordable Housing Consortium Excellence in Affordable Housing Award for Advocacy, October 2011
- Statewide Poverty Action Network Legislative Champion Award, September 2011
- Washington Low Income Housing Alliance Housing Hero Award, June 2011
- South King Council of Human Services Kathy Keolker Leadership Award, June 2010
- Washington Low Income Housing Alliance Legislator of the Year, March 2010
- VA Partnership Award, March 2008
- Democrat of the Year Award, 2006
- Washington State Coalition for the Homeless Advocate Award, May 2004
- CODIAC Recognition Award, 2003
- DASA and MHD CODIAC Leadership Award, 2001