Position Announcement: Communications Specialist
August 23, 2018 | By Washington House Democrats
Communications Specialist Washington State House of Representatives, Democratic Caucus
UPDATE: We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Salary: Based on previous job experience and qualifications
Closing Date: Open until filled
To Apply: Send electronically a cover letter, résumé, writing sample, and any audio, video, or graphic design samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The House of Representatives is comprised of the elected members of the House of Representatives and the staff necessary to carry out the business of a legislative branch of state government. Staff workgroups include nonpartisan staff, Democratic caucus staff, and Republican caucus staff. The Democratic Caucus consists of the Democratic members of the Washington State House. Each caucus has partisan staff positions that assist the members of the House.
This Olympia-based job is a full-time position with health care, retirement, paid leave, and other benefits. Telecommute, flex schedules, and Seattle workstation options are available in certain circumstances when the Legislature is not in session, subject to approval.
Caucus communications specialists are experienced communications professionals who are part of a team that advances public policy aimed at improving the lives of Washington’s seven million residents. We work on statewide policies relating to K-12 education, higher education, early learning, health care, human services, environment, transportation, business, labor, agriculture, housing, veterans, economic development, technology, public safety, equal rights, and many more.
If you are a communications professional interested in serving the public working on one or more of these issues areas, you are encouraged to apply.
Caucus communications specialists are responsible for disseminating legislative information to the public for House Democrats. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Working with elected officials and staff to provide district-specific communication strategies for mass media and constituent outreach
- Working with digital communications team to develop, design, and format visually-engaging materials for web, print, electronic, and social media platform distribution
- Working with issue-area policy experts to effectively communicate complex policies using simple, easy-to-understand methods
- Writing press statements, talking points, editorial pieces, video scripts, newsletters, speeches, digital media copy, etc.
- Producing audio and video clips, posting to websites, and exploring new media opportunities
- Organizing media events within district and on capitol campus
- Producing town hall and end of session products, presentations for caucus and committee hearings
- Helping maintain and expand the caucus webpages
- Serving as a primary contact for legislative reporters, facilitating interview requests, and providing background information as needed.
Successful candidates will have the ability to:
- Communicate clearly and concisely to a variety of audiences using plain language
- Demonstrate knowledge of the legislative process
- Manage multiple tasks and make decisions in a fast-paced, pressure-filled environment
- Create various multimedia products such as photos, videos, diagrams, infographics, charts, and maps that allow complex public policy issues to be understood by a general audience
- Produce and publish content designed to increase social media engagement
- Work with various web-based communications programs such as Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, GovDelivery, and SharePoint, among others
- Produce products and work well under deadline
- Maintain a sense of humor, teamwork and flexibility to adapt to a wide variety of circumstances
- Work efficiently with diverse personalities in team and individual settings
- Provide examples of process improvement
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Strong writing and messaging skills
- Familiar with Facebook, Twitter, and other social and web-based communications platforms
- Post-secondary degree and relevant work experience in communications, journalism, or related field
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud desktop applications (Photoshop, Premier Pro, Acrobat, lnDesign, Illustrator, Audition) web design/production/web content management (WordPress preferred) or similar applications
- Competency in methods and techniques of visual communication such as electronic illustration, design, animation, video, and page layout for print and electronic distribution
- Experience with audio production, video making/editing, or graphic design
- Use of analytics to improve communication effectiveness and work efficiency
- Familiarity with Washington state’s legislative process
The Washington State House of Representatives is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam-era veterans and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons of disability needing assistance in the application process or who need an application in an alternative format may call 360-786-7750 or TTD 1-800-635-9993.