Position Announcement: Session Aide to HDC Member Office
November 13, 2017 | By Washington House Democrats
Session Aide to HDC Member Office, Washington State House of Representatives
Mission: To assist Legislators in successfully fulfilling their public obligations by providing administrative and constituent support services
Reports to: Legislative Assistant, Representative, Caucus Staff Director, Chief Clerk
Salary range: Approximately $3223 per month, depending on qualifications. This is an exempt session/temporary position
To apply: Please send your cover letter and resume in one document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.
PREFERRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills, including knowledge of standard format and protocol for professional correspondence
- Persistent and resourceful in conducting research and problem solving
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook email and calendar functions
- Knowledge of legislative process, judicial system, and state and local government structure, functions, and services
- Ability to uphold legislative decorum, exercise professional judgment, and maintain confidentiality
- Answer phones, screen calls for Legislative Assistant, and greet visitors.
- Assist with scheduling tasks by maintaining accurate lists of appointment requests, reserving conference rooms, and guiding constituents and guests to meetings with the Representative.
- Prepare meeting materials, make copies, compile issue binders, update rosters and contact lists, edit and format documents.
- Take accurate notes and messages from constituent, staff, agency and stakeholder calls and visits.
- At direction of the Legislative Assistant, maintain electronic and physical filing systems for correspondence, scheduling, budget requests, and committee materials.
Correspondence & Communication:
- With supervision of Legislative Assistant, draft responses on behalf of the Representative to constituent emails, letters, and phone calls.
- Manage a high volume of constituent inquiries, providing friendly and accurate information to callers and visitors about the legislative process and capitol campus.
- Facilitate and coordinate communication between the Representative, legislators, state officials, staff, agency personnel, stakeholders and constituents in the development and advancement of legislation.
- With supervision of Legislative Assistant, perform casework, including facilitating communication between constituents and government agencies, assisting constituents in accessing services, and researching and solving complex problems. Coordinate with caucus caseworker when appropriate.
Bill and Budget Tracking:
- Maintain tracking spreadsheets to follow advancement of bills and budget requests throughout legislative process and ensure that timelines and deadlines are met.
- Support the Legislative Assistant in tracking and organizing member and stakeholder requests and information.
The Washington State House of Representatives is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.