UPDATE: We are no longer accepting applications for this posting.
To Members, Washington State House of Representatives
Mission: To assist a legislative office team in successfully fulfilling the legislator’s public obligations by providing support services in the areas of administration, communication, research and constituent services.
Reports to: Legislative Assistant, Representative, Caucus Staff Director, Chief Clerk
Type of position: This is an exempt session/temporary position.
Necessary Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to perform multiple tasks accurately and efficiently under time constraints
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively
- Ability to exercise professional judgment and maintain confidentiality
- Word processing skills necessary to work with speed and accuracy
- Familiarity with legislative, administrative and judicial systems
Typical Assignments (These tasks may vary depending on the needs of individual Legislative offices)
- Assist the LA with in-coming communication, phones, visitors, appointment requests
- Assist with the Representative’s schedule and travel arrangements, providing all materials
- Assist with copying, filing and other assigned projects
- Assist with constituent inquiries and casework
- Work with staff to facilitate the flow of information to, from, and within the office
- Serve as a liaison between the Representative and constituents of the Legislative District
- Track advancement of bills through the legislative process. This may entail monitoring of committee hearings, securing committee testimony and records preparation.
- Work with OPR and Caucus staff to develop constituent responses and other communication
Prior legislative experience is preferred
INTERESTED CANDIDATES should send electronically a cover letter, résumé and a writing sample to:
The Washington State House of Representatives is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.