Washington State House of Representatives, Democratic Caucus
Salary: Based on previous job experience and qualifications
Closing Date: Open until filled
Start date: The starting date for this position is flexible
NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: The House of Representatives is comprised of the elected members of the House of Representatives and the staff necessary to carry out the business of a legislative branch of state government. The Democratic Caucus consists of the Democratic members of the Washington State House. Each caucus has partisan staff positions that assist the members of the House.
This job is based in Olympia and is a full-time position with health care, retirement, paid leave, and other benefits. Telecommute, flex schedules, and Seattle workstation options are available in certain circumstances when the Legislature is not in session, subject to approval from the caucus chief of staff.
Caucus communications specialists are experienced communications professionals who want to be part of a team that advances public policy aimed at improving the lives of Washington’s seven million residents. We work on statewide policies relating to K-12 education, higher education, early learning, health care, human services, environment, transportation, business, labor, agriculture, housing, veterans, economic development, technology, public safety, equal rights, and many more.
If you are a communications professional interested in serving the public working on one or more of these issues areas, you are encouraged to apply.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Caucus communications specialists are responsible for disseminating legislative information to the public for House Democrats. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Working with elected officials and staff to provide district-specific communication strategies for mass media and constituent outreach
- Working with issue-area policy experts to effectively communicate complex policies using simple, easy-to-understand methods
- Writing press statements, talking points, editorial pieces, video scripts, newsletters, speeches etc.
- Producing audio and video clips, posting to websites, and exploring new media opportunities
- Organize media events within district and on capitol campus
- Produce town hall and end of session products, presentations for caucus and committee hearings
- Help maintain and expand the caucus webpages
Successful candidates will have the ability to:
- Communicate clearly and concisely to a variety of audiences
- Write using plain language
- Demonstrate knowledge of the legislative process
- Manage multiple tasks and make decisions in a fast-paced, pressure-filled environment
- Ability to produce drafts and final products under deadline
- Maintain a sense of humor, teamwork and flexibility to adapt to a wide variety of circumstances
- Work efficiently with diverse personalities in team and individual settings
- Work with various web-based communications programs such as Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, GovDelivery, and SharePoint
- Provide examples of process improvement
- Demonstrated work experience in communications, journalism, or related field
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Strong writing and messaging skills
- Familiar with Facebook, Twitter, and other social and web-based communications platforms
- Experience with audio production, video making/editing, or graphic design
- Ability to produce and publish content designed to increase social media engagement
- Use analytics to improve communication effectiveness and work efficiency
- Familiarity with Washington state’s legislative and political processes
INTERESTED CANDIDATES should send electronically a cover letter, résumé, writing sample, and any audio, video, or graphic design samples to:
The Washington State House of Representatives is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.