Legislative Assistant to Representative Sharon Tomiko Santos, Washington State House of Representatives
UPDATE: We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Mission: To assist Legislators in successfully fulfilling their public obligations by providing support services in the areas of administration, office management, communication, research and public relations
Reports to: Representative Santos, Caucus Staff Director, Chief Clerk
Location: The position is based in Olympia during session. During interim, LA may work in district office in Seattle or split time between Seattle and Olympia offices (minimum one day per week in district office).
To apply: Please send your cover letter, resume, and writing sample in one document to email@example.com. Open until filled.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Prior office management and administrative support experience
- Strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills, including knowledge of standard format and protocol for professional correspondence
- Highly organized and able to perform multiple detailed tasks accurately and efficiently under time constraints
- Experience conducting complex and detailed scheduling and travel arrangements
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook, with the ability to work with speed and accuracy in both programs.
- Knowledge of legislative process and state and local government structure, functions, and services
- Flexibility to travel to requested locations to attend meetings and provide staff support to the member
- Ability to work independently, exercise professional judgment, and maintain confidentiality
- Create and maintain extensive electronic and physical filing and organizational systems for office operations, committees, task forces, and ongoing projects
- Answer phone and act as first point of contact for all callers and visitors, observing formal professional protocol in all external communications
- Manage district office leases, expenses and equipment needs.
- Manage the Representative’s calendar with a high level of accuracy, including complex scheduling assignments, individual appointments, group meetings, public events, and travel arrangements
- Respond to staff, constituent, and stakeholder appointment requests
- Compile regular scheduling packets for the member, containing calendar, meeting preparation materials, agendas, travel itineraries, and other requested items
- Plan and organize town hall meetings
- Coordinate meeting preparation materials when needed
- During session, attend some meetings with constituents on member’s behalf, as needed
Bill Management & Chair Support:
- Maintain files on bills referred to the House Education Committee, sponsored by or of interest to the Representative
- Track advancement of bills throughout drafting and legislative process to ensure that timelines and deadlines are met. This includes maintaining detailed bill tracking spreadsheets
- Draft bill and budget request letters to committee chairs
- Daily identification of bills referred to the House Education Committee
Correspondence & Writing:
- Draft responses on behalf of the Representative to constituent emails, letters, and phone calls.
- Draft correspondence to agencies and other elected officials
- Facilitate communication between constituents and government agencies, assisting constituents in accessing services, and researching and solving complex problems
- Submit detailed and timely accounting reports for member travel and expense reimbursement, according to House policy
- Budget member expense account to ensure that funds are available for planned expenses
- Maintain organized records of expenses and reimbursements
The Washington State House of Representatives is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons of disability needing assistance in the application process or who need an application in an alternative format may call 360-786-7750 or TTD 1-800-635-9993.