Session Aide to HDC Member Office, Washington State House of Representatives
UPDATE: We are no longer accepting applications for this position
Mission: To assist Legislators in successfully fulfilling their public obligations by providing administrative and constituent support services
Reports to: Legislative Assistant, Representative, Caucus Staff Director, Chief Clerk
Salary range: Depends on qualifications. This is an exempt session/temporary position
Start Date: January 6, 2020
Closing Date: Open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as they are received
To apply: Please send your cover letter and resume in one document to email@example.com . Please include in your email how you heard about the position.
PREFERRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills, including knowledge of standard format and protocol for professional correspondence
- Persistent and resourceful in conducting research and problem solving
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook email and calendar functions
- Knowledge of legislative process, judicial system, and state and local government structure, functions, and services
- Ability to uphold legislative decorum, exercise professional judgment, and maintain confidentiality
- Answer phones, screen calls for Legislative Assistant, and greet visitors.
- Assist with scheduling tasks by maintaining accurate lists of appointment requests, reserving conference rooms, and guiding constituents and guests to meetings with the Representative.
- Prepare meeting materials, make copies, compile issue binders, update rosters and contact lists, edit and format documents.
- Take accurate notes and messages from constituent, staff, agency and stakeholder calls and visits.
- At direction of the Legislative Assistant, maintain electronic and physical filing systems for correspondence, scheduling, budget requests, and committee materials.
Correspondence & Communication:
- With supervision of Legislative Assistant, draft responses on behalf of the Representative to constituent emails, letters, and phone calls.
- Manage a high volume of constituent inquiries, providing friendly and accurate information to callers and visitors about the legislative process and capitol campus.
- Facilitate and coordinate communication between the Representative, legislators, state officials, staff, agency personnel, stakeholders and constituents in the development and advancement of legislation.
- With supervision of Legislative Assistant, perform casework, including facilitating communication between constituents and government agencies, assisting constituents in accessing services, and researching and solving complex problems. Coordinate with caucus caseworker when appropriate.
Bill and Budget Tracking:
- Maintain tracking spreadsheets to follow advancement of bills and budget requests throughout legislative process and ensure that timelines and deadlines are met.
- Support the Legislative Assistant in tracking and organizing member and stakeholder requests and information.
The Washington State House of Representatives is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons of disability needing assistance in the application process or who need an application in an alternative format may call 360-786-7750 or TTD 1-800-635-9993.