Welcome to my website. Please feel free to check back here for latest news and updates on what is happening in Olympia during the legislative season.
As a legislator, strategic planner in health care and workforce development, affordable housing advocate, and community leader, Tina has fought for improved services and responsive government for people throughout the Puget Sound.
For more than a decade Tina has exemplified her commitment to the most vulnerable populations of Washington through her work as an advocate for the homeless. As a well-seasoned social worker and advocate, Tina knows that the government and private sector must work together to solve our state’s significant problems. She created a nationally recognized public–private funding partnership with local government and foundations that resulted in over 1,000 units of housing for homeless individuals, including units dedicated to homeless veterans.
In 2011 she sponsored the Foreclosure Fairness Act to give struggling homeowners tools and assistance to better navigate the foreclosure process that includes provisions for homeowners to meet with the lender and a mediator to explore every alternative to foreclosure. Tina has worked closely with the University of Washington’s Forefront: Innovations in Suicide Prevention to help advance our state in the area of suicide prevention. She also has worked closely with the University of Washington law school with the Innocence Project Northwest on efforts to compensate persons who are wrongly convicted and to ensure DNA evidence is properly retained.
Tina is an active member of the Des Moines Rotary Club and Kent Chamber of Commerce. She serves on the boards of Judson Park retirement community in Des Moines and the United Way of King County Out of the Rain Impact Council.
Educational Background: University of Washington: Bachelor of Science Degree of Psychology 1988; and Master of Social Work in Administration, 1991.
Legislative Committee Assignments
- Public Safety-Vice Chair
- Joint Committee on Veterans and Military Affairs, June 2011
- Legislative-Executive WorkFirst Oversight Task Force, July 2011
- Washington Consumer Foreclosure Remedies Fund Committee, April 2012
- Statewide Coordinating Committee on Sex Trafficking, July 2013
- Commercially Sexually Exploited Children Statewide Coordinating Committee, July 2013
- Sexual Assault Forensic Examinations (SAFE) Best Practices Task Force, 2015
Tina worked for the City of Seattle, Office of Housing as the Washington State Taking Health Care Home Coordinator. She also has worked for King County and Pierce County governments. She was formerly active in the following governmental partnerships:
- King County Funder’s Group
- Washington State Policy Academy on Co-Occurring Disorders
- King County Veteran’s Group Consortium Steering Committee member
- Co-Chair of the Supportive Housing Alliance for Veterans (SHAVET).
Awards and Recognition
- Allies in Action State Award, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, May 2015
- Outstanding Legislator Award, Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs, November 2014
- Innocence Champion Award, Innocence Project Northwest, May 2014
- Washington State Psychological Association Legislative Service Award, September 2013
- Washington State Chapter of the National Association of Social Work Unsung Hero Award, September 2013
- Forefront’s Tina Orwall Policy Award for Outstanding Leadership in Suicide Prevention, September 2013
- Youth Suicide Prevention Program Hero’s Award, April 2013
- Parent Trust for Washington Children Laura Smith Brown Children’s Champion Award, November 2012
- Early Learning Action Alliance Gold Crayon Award, September 2012
- Seattle/King County Coalition on Homelessness King County Legislative Champions Award, July 2012
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Washington Legislator of the Year Award, June 2012
- Washington Mediation Association State of the Art Award, May 2012
- Tacoma/Pierce County Affordable Housing Consortium Excellence in Affordable Housing Award for Advocacy, October 2011
- Statewide Poverty Action Network Legislative Champion Award, September 2011
- Washington Low Income Housing Alliance Housing Hero Award, June 2011
- South King Council of Human Services Kathy Keolker Leadership Award, June 2010
- Washington Low Income Housing Alliance Legislator of the Year, March 2010
- VA Partnership Award, March 2008
- Democrat of the Year Award, 2006
- Washington State Coalition for the Homeless Advocate Award, May 2004
- CODIAC Recognition Award, 2003
- DASA and MHD CODIAC Leadership Award, 2001
Congress must act ASAP for thousands of Washington kids to keep coverage Washington lawmakers see that children’s health coverage must be a top priority, that’s why in 2007 the legislature passed the Apple Health for All Kids program. Today, 840,000...
Committee Assembly Days Last week, legislators returned to Olympia for Committee Assembly Days. While we keep busy during the interim with work sessions, meetings, community events and more, Committee Assembly Days are an opportunity for all lawmakers to gather and...
Earlier this month, Task Force on Military and Veterans Affairs co-chairs, Reps. Tina Orwall and Dan Saddler were featured in a podcast by the National Conference of State Legislatures to talk about the future work of the task force, which...
This past weekend, Rep. Tina Orwall (D-Des Moines) received the UW School of Social Work’s 2017 Moya M. Duplica Distinguished Alumni Award for her many legislative achievements, including expanding access to higher education, lowering home foreclosures, and reducing the high rate...
Air quality study One important achievement this year was securing $250,000 in the state operating budget for a study to determine noise, vibration, and air quality issues in our area. The state has issued the money for UW to complete...
My video playlist:
22525 Marine View Dr. S
Des Moines, WA 98198
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504-0600
For Press Inquiries:
Lilia P. Nieto, Senior Communications Specialist
For broadcast-quality audio or TV/radio interviews:
Dan Frizzell, Broadcast Coordinator