Welcome to my website. Please feel free to check back here for latest news and updates on what is happening in Olympia during the legislative season.
As a legislator, strategic planner in health care and workforce development, affordable housing advocate, and community leader, Tina has fought for improved services and responsive government for people throughout the Puget Sound.
For more than a decade Tina has exemplified her commitment to the most vulnerable populations of Washington through her work as an advocate for the homeless. As a well-seasoned social worker and advocate, Tina knows that the government and private sector must work together to solve our state’s significant problems. She created a nationally recognized public–private funding partnership with local government and foundations that resulted in over 1,000 units of housing for homeless individuals, including units dedicated to homeless veterans.
In 2011 she sponsored the Foreclosure Fairness Act to give struggling homeowners tools and assistance to better navigate the foreclosure process that includes provisions for homeowners to meet with the lender and a mediator to explore every alternative to foreclosure. Tina has worked closely with the University of Washington’s Forefront: Innovations in Suicide Prevention to help advance our state in the area of suicide prevention. She also has worked closely with the University of Washington law school with the Innocence Project Northwest on efforts to compensate persons who are wrongly convicted and to ensure DNA evidence is properly retained.
Tina is an active member of the Des Moines Rotary Club and Kent Chamber of Commerce. She serves on the boards of Judson Park retirement community in Des Moines and the United Way of King County Out of the Rain Impact Council.
Educational Background: University of Washington: Bachelor of Science Degree of Psychology 1988; and Master of Social Work in Administration, 1991.
Legislative Committee Assignments
- Public Safety-Vice Chair
- Joint Committee on Veterans and Military Affairs, June 2011
- Legislative-Executive WorkFirst Oversight Task Force, July 2011
- Washington Consumer Foreclosure Remedies Fund Committee, April 2012
- Statewide Coordinating Committee on Sex Trafficking, July 2013
- Commercially Sexually Exploited Children Statewide Coordinating Committee, July 2013
- Sexual Assault Forensic Examinations (SAFE) Best Practices Task Force, 2015
Tina worked for the City of Seattle, Office of Housing as the Washington State Taking Health Care Home Coordinator. She also has worked for King County and Pierce County governments. She was formerly active in the following governmental partnerships:
- King County Funder’s Group
- Washington State Policy Academy on Co-Occurring Disorders
- King County Veteran’s Group Consortium Steering Committee member
- Co-Chair of the Supportive Housing Alliance for Veterans (SHAVET).
Awards and Recognition
- Allies in Action State Award, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, May 2015
- Outstanding Legislator Award, Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs, November 2014
- Innocence Champion Award, Innocence Project Northwest, May 2014
- Washington State Psychological Association Legislative Service Award, September 2013
- Washington State Chapter of the National Association of Social Work Unsung Hero Award, September 2013
- Forefront’s Tina Orwall Policy Award for Outstanding Leadership in Suicide Prevention, September 2013
- Youth Suicide Prevention Program Hero’s Award, April 2013
- Parent Trust for Washington Children Laura Smith Brown Children’s Champion Award, November 2012
- Early Learning Action Alliance Gold Crayon Award, September 2012
- Seattle/King County Coalition on Homelessness King County Legislative Champions Award, July 2012
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Washington Legislator of the Year Award, June 2012
- Washington Mediation Association State of the Art Award, May 2012
- Tacoma/Pierce County Affordable Housing Consortium Excellence in Affordable Housing Award for Advocacy, October 2011
- Statewide Poverty Action Network Legislative Champion Award, September 2011
- Washington Low Income Housing Alliance Housing Hero Award, June 2011
- South King Council of Human Services Kathy Keolker Leadership Award, June 2010
- Washington Low Income Housing Alliance Legislator of the Year, March 2010
- VA Partnership Award, March 2008
- Democrat of the Year Award, 2006
- Washington State Coalition for the Homeless Advocate Award, May 2004
- CODIAC Recognition Award, 2003
- DASA and MHD CODIAC Leadership Award, 2001
In the News
Jun 1, 2016: Tomorrow is ‘Gun Violence Awareness Day,’ so keep calm and carry
May 23, 2016: Law to reduce detention of noncriminal children
May 23, 2016: Untouched rape kits getting tested in Spokane
May 16, 2016: New truancy law aims to keep kids out of court, juvenile detention
Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber
Apr 20, 2016: Editorial: Media coverage of new suicide awareness law falls disappointingly short
Apr 20, 2016: Former islander worked to pass new Washington law that brings suicide prevention activists, gun rights groups together
Apr 15, 2016: Washington State Lawmakers Revive Effort to Hike Tobacco Minimum Purchasing Age
Apr 14, 2016: Editorial: Gov. Inslee’s veto leaves at-risk students in limbo
Apr 13, 2016: Inslee signs bill requiring community truancy boards, but vetoes potential source of funding
Apr 8, 2016: My husband died by suicide. Here’s what happened during my awkward call with the NRA.
Apr 6, 2016: Thousands of rape kits go untested in Washington. New initiative aims to fix that
Apr 1, 2016: Suicide prevention bill backed by gun rights groups signed into law
Apr 1, 2016: State bill to track rape kit tests becomes first law of its kind
KING 5 TV
Apr 1, 2016: Law makes Washington first state to track rape kits
Mar 31, 2016: Gov. Inslee signs suicide prevention bill backed by gun rights groups
Mar 29, 2016: Op-ed by Rep. Tina Orwall: Suicide awareness and prevention create safer homes
Mar 21, 2016: Ground broken on $19.4 million learning center at Puget Sound Skills Center
Mar 20, 2016: ‘Rape kit’ evidence gets first-in-nation tracking in bill
Walla Walla Union Bulletin
Mar 16, 2016: Editorial: Requiring statewide tracking of ‘rape kits’ is progress
Mar 15, 2016: Washington poised to become first state to track all rape kits
Mar 14, 2016: Groundbreaking for new Puget Sound Skills Center building will be March 18
Mar 12, 2016: Editorial: Rebellion and realization: Connecticut shows there are better alternatives to juvenile detention
Public News Service
Mar 10, 2016: Olympia Looks for Way to Fund Nation’s First Rape Kit Tracking System
KING 5 TV
Mar 7, 2016: Budget battle jeopardizing rape kit tracking law
Mar 6, 2016: Washington to become first state to track rape kits
Mar 1, 2016: Schools to add sexual abuse in plans to keep children safe
Feb 29, 2016: Tax break for gun stores left out of suicide prevention bill
Feb 18, 2016: House passes package of bills to support veterans and active duty members
Feb 17, 2016: Faced With Staggering Backlogs of Rape Kits, States Change Testing, Investigations
Feb 17, 2016: State House passes suicide awareness and prevention measure
Feb 8, 2016: UW center pushes suicide into public discussion
Feb 3, 2016: Editorial: Improve ‘rape kit’ system, but ensure accountability of those monitoring it
Enumclaw Courier Herald
Jan 29, 2016: AG’s tobacco-age bill clears first legislative hurdle
Jan 28, 2016: Washington suicide prevention bill gets support from druggists, NRA
Jan 28, 2016: UW’s Forefront backs effort to engage gun dealers and pharmacies on suicide prevention
Jan 26, 2016: Washington bill targets credibility of informants’ testimony
Jan 26, 2016: State House panel passes bill to raise smoking age to 21
KING 5 TV
Jan 26, 2016: NRA backs Wash. state suicide awareness bill
Maple Valley Reporter
Jan 23, 2016: Two-thirds of Washingtonians support raising tobacco sale age to 21
Jan 23, 2016: Editorial: Raise smoking age to 21 in Washington
Jan 22, 2016: Time to treat tobacco like alcohol?
Jan 22, 2016: State House Judiciary Committee looks to improve suicide awareness and prevention
Jan 20, 2016: Washingtonians support raising tobacco sale age
KING 5 TV
Jan 20, 2016: Lawmakers aim to raise tobacco purchasing age to 21
MyNorthwest.com (KIRO FM)
Jan 19, 2016: How strip clubs could aid Washington’s rape kit dilemma
Jan 11, 2016: Lawmakers try to hike legal smoking age to 21
Jan 11, 2016: Washington Lawmakers Take Aim at Cybercrime with Washington Cyber Crime Act
Rep. Tina Orwall (D-Des Moines) responds to constituent email on what the Legislature is doing about the homelessness crisis, and on the “Pregnant Workers Fairness Act,” which will provide protections for women within the workplace.
Suicide Prevention This Thursday was Suicide Prevention Education Day in Olympia. We had a Ceremony of Remembrance and Hope for a Suicide-Safer Homes Memorial, installed by Forefront volunteers on the Capitol lawn, to recognize the lives lost to suicide in...
Watch Rep. Tina Orwall (D-Des Moines) talk about her suicide prevention bills and her bill to collect DNA samples of dangerous felons in the state.
Town Hall, Air Quality, Language Access, Sexual Assault, Sex Offenses, Surprise ER bills Dear neighbors, As many bills are heard in the policy committees and then make their way through the legislative process, we are wrapping up week five...
Rep. Tina Orwall (D-Des Moines) responds to emails from her constituents on a bill to train first responders on working with people with disabilities to better assist them in a time of crisis. She also talks about the drug take...
My video playlist:
22525 Marine View Dr. S
Des Moines, WA 98198
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504-0600
For Press Inquiries:
Lilia P. Nieto, Senior Communications Specialist
For broadcast-quality audio or TV/radio interviews:
Dan Frizzell, Broadcast Coordinator