Welcome to my website. Please feel free to check back here for latest news and updates on what is happening in Olympia during the legislative season.
Tina L. Orwall, M.S.W.
Washington State Representative, 33rd District
Speaker Pro Tempore
Tina has represented the 33rd district since 2009. Rape kit reform, suicide prevention, anti-trafficking, the Foreclosure Fairness Act, compensation for those wrongly convicted, and adoptee rights are among her legislative accomplishments.
Tina has worked with all levels of government to help embrace best practices to better serve the community. Her 20 years of experience working in the public mental health system, as well as her expertise in strategic planning in workforce development and affordable housing have established her as a valued legislator and community leader.
Tina is an active member of the Des Moines Rotary Club and Kent Chamber of Commerce. She serves on the boards of Judson Park retirement community in Des Moines and the United Way of King County Impact Council.
Educational Background: University of Washington: Bachelor of Science Degree of Psychology 1988; and Master of Social Work in Administration, 1991.
Legislative Committee Assignments
- Higher Education
- Public Safety
- Joint Committee on Veterans and Military Affairs, June 2011
- Legislative-Executive WorkFirst Oversight Task Force, July 2011
- Washington Consumer Foreclosure Remedies Fund Committee, April 2012
- Statewide Coordinating Committee on Sex Trafficking, July 2013
- Commercially Sexually Exploited Children Statewide Coordinating Committee, July 2013
- Sexual Assault Forensic Examinations (SAFE) Best Practices Task Force, 2015
Tina worked for the City of Seattle, Office of Housing as the Washington State Taking Health Care Home Coordinator. She also has worked for King County and Pierce County governments. She was formerly active in the following governmental partnerships:
King County Funder’s Group
Washington State Policy Academy on Co-Occurring Disorders
King County Veteran’s Group Consortium Steering Committee member; Co-Chair of the Supportive Housing Alliance for Veterans (SHAVET)
Awards and Recognition
- UW School of Social Work’s Moya M. Duplica Distinguished Alumni Award, October 2017
- Allies in Action State Award, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, May 2015
- Outstanding Legislator Award, Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs, November 2014
- Innocence Champion Award, Innocence Project Northwest, May 2014
- Washington State Psychological Association Legislative Service Award, September 2013
- Washington State Chapter of the National Association of Social Work Unsung Hero Award, September 2013
- Forefront’s Tina Orwall Policy Award for Outstanding Leadership in Suicide Prevention, September 2013
- Youth Suicide Prevention Program Hero’s Award, April 2013
- Parent Trust for Washington Children Laura Smith Brown Children’s Champion Award, November 2012
- Early Learning Action Alliance Gold Crayon Award, September 2012
- Seattle/King County Coalition on Homelessness King County Legislative Champions Award, July 2012
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Washington Legislator of the Year Award, June 2012
- Washington Mediation Association State of the Art Award, May 2012
- Tacoma/Pierce County Affordable Housing Consortium Excellence in Affordable Housing Award for Advocacy, October 2011
- Statewide Poverty Action Network Legislative Champion Award, September 2011
- Washington Low Income Housing Alliance Housing Hero Award, June 2011
- South King Council of Human Services Kathy Keolker Leadership Award, June 2010
- Washington Low Income Housing Alliance Legislator of the Year, March 2010
- VA Partnership Award, March 2008
- Democrat of the Year Award, 2006
- Washington State Coalition for the Homeless Advocate Award, May 2004
- CODIAC Recognition Award, 2003
- DASA and MHD CODIAC Leadership Award, 2001
Rep. Orwall’s 4/9/18 Update: Student Loans / Airport Impact Study / Suicide Prevention / Rape Kits / Abandoned Properties / K-12 in 33rd LD / My Team
Dear friends and neighbors, Even though the Legislative Session is behind us, there’s been a lot of activity in Olympia with people attending bill signing ceremonies. Here are highlights of some of my bills and measures that passed: Student Loan...
OLYMPIA—This afternoon, Governor Jay Inslee signed into law the Student Opportunity, Assistance and Relief Act, or SOAR, aimed at reforming student loan practices to prevent high-cost debt as a result of accessing higher education. Under current law, in Washington state,...
Dear friends and neighbors, First, I want to make sure you know we’re having a telephone town hall meeting this Thursday evening, and I hope you’ll join us! Finished on time! Last Thursday, shortly after 10 p.m., the gavels came...
Who: Sen. Karen Keiser, Rep. Tina Orwall & Rep. Mia Gregerson –The 33rd Legislative District delegation representing part of King County including SeaTac, Des Moines, Normandy Park, and part of Kent, Burien and Renton. What: 33rd Legislative District telephone town...
Dear friends and neighbors, As you have probably heard, a week ago both legislative chambers passed Senate Bill 6617. I was one of the 14 House members voting NO on this measure. Though SB 6617 would have provided some steps...
My video playlist:
22525 Marine View Dr. S
Des Moines, WA 98198
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504-0600
For Press Inquiries:
Lilia P. Nieto, Senior Communications Specialist
For broadcast-quality audio or TV/radio interviews:
Dan Frizzell, Broadcast Coordinator