OLYMPIA – House Democrats elected their leadership team for the 2017 legislative session during their first post-election meeting on Friday afternoon. Democrats maintained majority control of the state House of Representatives as a result of the November general election.
2017 House Democratic Caucus leadership team (partial list):
- Speaker of the House (designate*): Rep. Frank Chopp (D-Seattle)
- Majority Leader: Rep. Pat Sullivan (D-Covington)
- Majority Caucus Chair: Rep. Eric Pettigrew (D-Seattle)
- Majority Floor Leader: Rep. Gael Tarleton (D-Ballard)
- Majority Whip: Rep. Marcus Riccelli (D-Spokane)
- Deputy Majority Whip: Rep. Jessyn Farrell (D-Seattle)
Rep. Riccelli previously served as Deputy Majority Whip. He will replace Rep. Kevin Van De Wege, who was recently elected to the Washington State Senate. All other members elected today were re-elected from their previous leadership positions.
Elections for Speaker pro tempore, Deputy Speaker pro tempore, and other leadership positions within the House Democratic caucus will be held at a later date.
*The full House of Representatives votes for Speaker of the House. This vote will occur when the 105-day legislative session convenes on January 9, 2017, hence the “designate” title at this time.