Rep. Dave Paul grew up in Enumclaw, Washington. His father was a shop steward and his mother was a para-educator and small business owner. He graduated from Seattle University and then earned a master’s degree from Miami University (Ohio) and a doctorate from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Dave is an experienced educator. He has taught in higher education for over 20 years, most recently helping students at Skagit Valley College where he has served for 14 years. He is currently the Director of Community Relations. Dave has a background in helping non-traditional students navigate a changing employment landscape, and he serves on the Island County Economic Development Council.
In addition to his experience with higher education, Dave also has significant experience with PreK-12 schools. Dave served on his local School Board in Ohio.
Dave’s legislative priorities include:
- Providing more opportunities for Washingtonians to secure family-wage jobs and lowering the burden of student debt by developing pathways to work, including apprenticeships, community college, and certificate programs, as well as lowering costs for four-year colleges and universities.
- Improving transportation infrastructure in the 10th district that supports our way of life, tourism, and create jobs.
- A more reliable ferry system that meets the needs of ferry riders in our region.
- Protecting our quality of life and local industries like fishing, agriculture, and tourism from climate change.
- Funding our schools in a way that is sustainable and provides our children with the education they deserve.
Dave serves as Vice Chair of the Community & Economic Development Committee and is also on the Transportation Committee and the College & Workforce Development Committee.
Dave and his wife live in Oak Harbor with their four children and two dogs.