Community Resources

988 – Suicide Prevention and Safe Use

If you or someone you know is struggling or in crisis, help is available. Call or text 988 or chat

Never Use Alone: 877-696-1996                Toll free national overdose prevention, detection, and crisis response service for people who use drugs while alone.

Find Medications for Opioid Use Disorder (MOUD) with this locator tool from the Washington Recovery Help Line.

Needle exchange:

  • Whatcom County: provides syringe services clinics every Monday and Thursday from 2 – 4 p.m. (except holidays) directly off York Street, in the parking lot behind Walton Place Apartments (1511 N State St, Bellingham).
  • Skagit County: The county’s Mobile Syringe Exchange program visits several cities each month, their schedule can be found online or call: 360-826-2661

In-patient Behavioral Health Services

Service Provider Location Phone Number
Whatcom County Triage Center

(Anne Deacon Center for Hope)

2026 Division St.
Bellingham, WA 98226
Serves adults in Whatcom County. Offers short term, in-patient substance use disorder and behavioral health support services
Lake Whatcom Treatment Center 3600 Meridian St.
Bellingham, WA 98225
Lake Whatcom Residential and Treatment Center (LWC), is a DSHS and DOH licensed not-for-profit organization providing an array of residential and community mental health services to adults with severe and persistent mental illness in Whatcom County and surrounding communities.
Legacy Lodge Men’s Residential, administered by Evergreen Recovery Centers 1905 Continental Place
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
24-bed residential treatment program for individuals seeking behavioral health services, detox and opioid treatment.

Out-patient Behavioral Health Services

Service Provider Location Phone Number
Didgwálič Wellness Center  8212 South March Point Road, Anacortes, WA 98221 360-588-2800
All community members are welcome – walk ins available Monday – Friday. Services are individualized and range from medication and counseling to transportation and childcare.
Consejo Counseling & Referral Services 1601 East College Way, Mount Vernon, WA 98273 360-763-5595
Provides behavioral health care, trauma-informed care, and supportive transitional housing for everyone youth to elders.
Lifeline Connections 1413 E. College Way, Mount Vernon 98273 360-397-8246 (ext. #33150)
Offers services for youth and adults, from counseling or alternative care services to crisis care.

Emergency Shelter

Whatcom County: For help with housing or questions about other services, contact the Community Resource Center at Opportunity Council at 1111 Cornwall Ave in Bellingham, or by calling 360-734-5121 Mon-Thurs from 9 am – 4 pm.

Service Provider Location Phone Number
All adults:
Base Camp, operated by Lighthouse Mission
1530 Cornwall Ave,
Bellingham, WA 98225
Low barrier emergency shelter, pets welcome. Nightly check in begins at 7 p.m.
The PAD House
Whatcom: 1020 North State St.,
Bellingham, WA 98225Skagit: 427 N 4th St,
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Emergency housing for youth 13 – 17 in Whatcom County, for up to 90 days. Provides food, clothing, and a safe place to live. Day-use center for young people experiencing homelessness ages 24 and under.
Women or fleeing DV:
Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services
1407 Commercial Street,
Bellingham, WA 98225
24-hour Helpline: 360-715-1563

Administrative line: 360-671-5714

Provides safe, confidential emergency shelter for individuals and families fleeing domestic violence.
Women or fleeing DV:
YWCA Bellingham
1026 N Forest St,
Bellingham, WA 98225
The YWCA shelter is a part of the Whatcom County Coordinated Entry Program. You can apply for that program at the YWCA or at the Whatcom Homeless Service Center. Go to either location in person to fill out an application or call them for more information.


Skagit County: Coordinated Entry is a process for individuals and families in Skagit County who are experiencing or at imminent risk of homelessness to access homelessness prevention services and resources. Applicants will be screened for eligibility, prioritization, and program matching for a more efficient and effective system to access appropriate programs.

To find out if you qualify for Coordinated Entry, dial 2-1-1 Monday through Friday, 9am-4pm and connect with a Referral Specialist.

Service Provider Location Phone Number
Friendship House
Adults, separate shelter for Men and Women/Children
Men’s House: 1008 S. Third Street,
Mount Vernon, WA 98273Women’s House: 922 S. Third Street,
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Men’s shelter: 360-336-2135

Women & Children’s shelter:

Provides shelter for up to 90 days while residents work with Managers on action plans for finding employment and stable housing.
Welcome Home Skagit 2529 N Laventure Rd,
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Day time resource center and overnight safe parking


San Juan County isn’t home to any permanent emergency overnight shelters; In the Winters, a cold weather shelter is administered by the United Way of San Juan County.

Service Provider Location Phone Number
United Way of San Juan County supports resource centers providing daytime services and family/financial assistance services on each of the three islands:
The Orcas Community Resource Center (OCRC) 374 North Beach Road, Eastsound, WA 98245 360-376-3184
Lopez Island Family Center 23 Pear Tree Lane,
Lopez Island, WA 98261
(San Juan Island) Joyce L. Sobel Family Resource Center 476 Market St.,
Friday Harbor, WA 98250

Child/Family Supplies & Assistance


The Whatcom Opportunity Council keeps resource lists for a number of essentials, including childcare, food/nutrition, preschool, and ‘Basics 4 Babies.’                Phone: 360-734-5121


Help Me Grow Skagit: No-cost service to all families in Skagit County. For items such as diapers and cleaning products, call their Family Resource Center: 360-230-9129

San Juan

Contact the family resource centers detailed above.

Island Rides provides transportation on all three islands to residents who don’t drive or with no access.

Low-Income Veterinary Services


  • Whatcom Humane Society offers basic vet services like microchipping, spay & neuter, and end of life services.
  • Mountain Veterinary Hospital in Bellingham provides services for cases the Humane Society cannot handle like extensive surgeries, dental surgery, or physical therapy.
  • Light House Mission Ministries: This Bellingham shelter partners with Pets for the Homeless to bring veterinary care to the animals of their residents.


  • Humane Society of Skagit Valley offers at least spay & neuter services and pet surrender services.

San Juan County:

  • Animal Protection Services Friday Harbor offers a Pet Food Pantry providing food and basic supplies for families in need of temporary assistance.

They also provide a low-cost pet clinic for low-income San Juan co. resident, The Clinic is located at: 938 Cattle Point Road in Friday Harbor.

Covid-19 Resources

You can also find resources on Washington’s dedicated COVID-19 website and the HDC page dedicated to COVID-19.

Statewide Resources

County Resources

School District Resources